Monday, October 13, 2014

Comments from the Peanut Gallery

I get asked all the time, seriously All The Time, how to handle the people in your life who are not supportive.  Whether its your decision to homeschool, your parenting, your marriage, how you run your home, if you work-don't work etc.  The unfortunate reality is that there will be people who don't support you.  The crappy thing about this is that many of these people will voice their unwanted opinions and this can be hurtful.  Very hurtful.

Today, in an effort to answer your question- I posted this over on the Homeschooled Housewife Facebook page.  I hope that it might help some of you.

Comments from the peanut gallery-

You're a bad Mom.

I'm concerned that he's not learning everything he should be learning. Here let me quiz him on something WAY above his grade level because I'm an expert.

He's old enough to go by himself, cut the cord already.

Why aren't you eating organic chocolate?

You should let your child stay with us during the week so you can go get a real job.

We don't like the way you disciplined him. You need to be tougher on him.

You're too hard on him.

Don't you think it's time you put him in a real school?

He didn't show what I deem to be the proper appreciation therefore he's ungrateful.

You need to have another kid so he doesn't grow up to be a spoiled brat.

You must not trust your husband if you read his text messages.

A real woman works outside the home.

When I have a child, I will never do what you do. My child will behave exactly how I want him to at all times because that's what kids do.

You didn't even graduate college, how are you ever going to teach your child?

You're marriage isn't healthy because it doesn't look exactly like mine does. Nevermind the fact that I never see my spouse & we have nothing to talk about.

You let your kid watch PG13 movies but ban the Disney channel?

You're too honest with him. You need to shelter him from the real world.

He's too old to do this, it's for little kids. You're damaging him by not letting him grow up.

You're not a real homeschooler.

Your marriage will never last. Here, let me give you unwanted advice & input because I have been married 4 times after all...

You need to go to church. All homeschoolers go to church.

You're too overprotective. You can't control everything in your kid's life.

You're lazy.

You spend way too much time with your husband. He should be able to go out whenever he wants & live the single life like I do.

You're stupid for believing that GMO's are harmful. There's nothing wrong with the food we eat.

You should be doing more.

You do too much, not everything has to be perfect.

So here's how I view these comments-

We as homeschoolers will naturally have to fend off comments such as this because let's face it- we are doing something different & that scares people. And yes, the above are all comments from people in my life or those I've randomly come across. So I know exactly what it's like to be met with these words.

My advice to you all is simple. In fact, I was just telling the kiddo this today-

People who are insecure & unhappy with their own lives have a tendency to comment negatively on other people's lives. Do the best you can. Do what you feel is right. And for heaven's sake- do not give any thought to all this BS coming your way.

Because at the end of the day, the only people that matter are the ones who love & support you. No matter what.

So surround yourself with these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment